Guess what? I just got back from spectating the new Fright Night remake in 3D, starring Colin Farrell and Anton Yelchin, and guess what else? (This is an easy one) It wasn’t very good!
Here are the most crucial reasons to NOT see Fright Night:
- The original is better.
- Some key elements were left out from the original (like Jerry’s “guardian”/slave who shares him home)
- Charley’s character doesn’t spend nearly enough time spying and gathering info on his neighbor (a large part of 1985’s Fright Night)
- It’s only funny like, three times max
- The 3D is barely used except for a few vampire ashes that do little more than give you vertigo
- Terrible vampire effects and editing (there’s a scene where Yelchin is in the front seat of a moving car, then magically appears in the back seat, then the front again)
- Doesn’t deserve an R rating (more like PG-13)
- Patronizing use of indie music (Foster The People’s “Pumped Up Kicks”+ Hugo’s “99 Problems”)
- It’s WAY too long, 120 minutes total
- Unoriginal, no unique market for today’s audience